Pshaw. As if the blogoshere needs another young, female scientist spewing her opinions on the interwebs. And yet, here I am. I’m not actually sure that I fit into the “young” category any more, but I’m definitely early-career, just starting a tenure-track position, so maybe we’ll go with that designation. Seriously, with how long it takes to get through grad school and get ahold of a job in this climate, it’s hard to start a tenure-track position before you’re your thirties. Or at least that’s what I tell myself to take away the pain.
A (very) little about myself:
– I am going to try to stay anonymous – I’ll go by Viola around here
– I am a terrible speller
– I heart Darwin
– I have a significant other (also a scientist) who we will call Shaggy
– I am a pretty good cook and baker
– I love running, although I came to it late in life and am definitely more of a tortoise than a hare
– I am a feminist
– I am learning to play an instrument that is so awesome that it would blow your mind if I told you what it is
I’m starting this blog because I’m hoping it will give me perspective during this tenuous pre-tenure time. I know I’m going to mess up a lot. I’m hoping I will learn from those mistakes and that other people can learn from them as well if I make them visible. Likewise, I have been reading and trying to learn from blogs written by other scientists. We’ll see how well I can apply that knowledge.
I don’t know the stats for sure, but I’m betting the odds of me keeping up on this blog are very low. I hope to beat those odds, but we’ll see how it goes. I’m not going to post every day, but I think once or twice a week will be reasonable. Here’s to the future . . .